Monday, January 24, 2011

A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words...


Or something like that. So in hopes of helping those of you that read my blog visualize the wines I review, I've decided to add some photographs to this page. I was torn between using stock photos of the wine bottles that I might find on the web, but decided that I should probably use my camera instead. I am by no means a professional photographer. I probably have more skill reviewing wine than I do taking pictures, but like drinking wine, taking photos is something that I greatly enjoy. (Coincidentally, my background photo for this blog is a photo I took, if you care). So I pulled out all the bottles I still have and snapped photos of each and every one.
But I soon ran into a problem, a lot of the wine's I have reviewed have been consumed and I no longer have the bottles, oh what to do?!? Well, I guess I am a little bit strange but I've been removing the labels from my wine bottles and keeping them in a journal I have created where I will write brief notes about each wine next to the corresponding label. Therefore I have also used these labels as subjects for my photographs. I hope this doesn't bother anyone. I know I didn't have the bottle. You can't see the detail of the wine shining through the glass bottle or how tall the bottle is...Sorry. Even the photos I've taken of the labels still on the bottle have been cropped to just give you the front label of the wine.
I do this more because I don't have a studio to take "nice" photos of each bottle sitting next to a four course meal, or the equipment to do a photo like that justice. What I do have is the desire to help you identify the wines I have reviewed by sight when you take a trip to the supermarket/liquor store.
Hopefully this helps you and doesn't detract from the reviews themselves. If you have any feedback, positive or negative, don't hesitate to comment or send me an email.

No comments:

Post a Comment