Wednesday, January 26, 2011

2010 Fabre Montmayou Phebus MMC (70% Malbec, 15% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Sauvignon), Argentina


Color - Dark, inky purple

Nose - Raspberry, cherry, slight oak

Taste - On the first taste, I get cherry, spicy oak, a little plum and a tinge of red berry jamminess. The wine is adequate in the tannin department, though not big like I'm used too. It's acidic but not overwhelming, with a nice alcohol bite. There are some nice spice hints on the end of the attack (licorice and vanilla). The wine is medium bodied with a long finish. This wine has a very clean mouthfeel though it only touches the tip and sides of the tongue and doesn't coat my entire palate.
I like this wine much more when I paired it with white sauce pasta and creamy cheeses. I like the way it loses the sweetness and gets a slight tart flavor, the cream in the sauce and cheese compliments the wine quite nicely. It also lessens the acidity which can get cloying.

Overall, I would have to say this is an exceptional wine for the price. At just over 5 dollars, you can't miss with this one. I am becoming quite fond of the Argentinian and Chilean produced wines, specifically those varietals that you rarely see from other regions (Malbec, Carmenere, and Bonarda). I would recommend this wine with just a few caveats. One, it's still a rather young wine so let it sit for a good fifteen minutes before consuming it. Two, it is a decent blend that you can put out basically at any time of the day for any occasion but it's not really complex and it won't work wonders on your palate. Finally, it doesn't have the depth or flavors that I love in wines that usually feature Cabernet Sauvignon (warm dry moutfeel, big tannins, nice depth of body and flavor) but it's not a bland wine either. Go get a couple bottles and sample it for yourself, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Fabre Montmayou Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment