Sunday, January 23, 2011

2007 Penfolds Koonunga Hill Cabernet/Merlot, Australia


Color - Dark Red

Nose - Plum (lots of plum), minimal blackberry and oak

Taste - I am firmly of the opinion that this wine would have been a very offensive wine had it not been blended with the Merlot. It's sweet to begin with, lots of plum on the attack, there is a slight vegetal flavor that hides behind the plum. Very nice clean finish with little or no aftertaste, but leaves my mouth with a very pleasant clean feeling. A medium bodied red perhaps even leaning on the light side of reds, especially those I am used to drinking. The cutting acidity and tannins of the Cabernet are mellowed, almost to the point of nonexistence, by the Merlot quite nicely. It is enjoyable if somewhat one-dimensional and not a very good offering of a blend of these two grapes. There are many that you can find for the same price that taste better. The wine is smooth with little or no alcohol heat to it.

Overall, This wine is good, not great. It's definitely not something I would drink often or even out of preference, but I wouldn't shun this wine if it was offered to me at a party or get together. It's far to "light" for my taste of reds. The Merlot really softens the Cabernet's heaviness, which isn't bad because I truly think this Cabernet would be a subpar offering. The few times that it broke through it was just too herbaceous and unpleasant for my palate. This would go well with food from your barbecue grill, pork chops, or fried dishes. Not nearly my favorite from Penfold's, they do have a lot of good wines, this one is not one of them.

Penfolds Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment