Monday, January 24, 2011

2008 Fabla Calatayud Garnacha, Spain


Color - Garnet

Nose - Strawberry, Tannin, Alcohol, Oak

Taste - Right from the get-go, this wine strikes me as very light, fruit forward and particularly dry. As with the nose, there are definite hints of strawberry and as the wine passes over the palate it has quite along finish, which surprised me. Attacks the mid-palate, but rather softly with light berry flavors . This wine has a very clean finish, one of the cleanest I've experienced, it leaves almost no lingering tastes of anything, which I view as disappointing. The finish itself is medium compared to what I'm used to, and pleasant. It's rather one dimensional, not complex at all. I would say this is a decent substitute to Chianti or a light Merlot. After a second tasting of this, I find it does leave just a slight aftertaste of leaves (strawberry leaves or sweet tea leaves). Finally, I can't find any tannins at all, though they seem present in the nose, I can't taste them to save my life. For me this is a big minus since I love tannins in my wine.

Overall,this is much too light for my tastes. It's extremely un-complex, bordering on boring. I'm sure it would be great to serve to red wine newbies or people that like light/sweet red wines, but for me it just seems bland and a waste of time and money. It's not nearly tannic or full bodied enough which is the main deciding factor. It is drinkable by itself, but you should know that the flavors "dull" rather quickly. Find something even a little more complex and driving, perhaps a Malbec or decent Tempranillo.

Calatayud Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment