Wednesday, March 2, 2011

2009 Anakena Indo Merlot, Chile


Color - Ruby red

Nose - Plum, black cherry

Taste - This wine has nice dark fruit characteristics on the first sip, but they fade quickly into something less fruit-y and more sour fruit-y. Normally I wouldn't complain but something about the sourness in this wine is a little unpleasant. The sour cherries don't last too long, thankfully, but give way to a decent amount of heat and astringency. The wine is full bodied and a long finish that has dark fruit characters and some rather lively tannins. It's not offensive but it isn't what I was expecting. This is the first Anakena wine that I would say take a pass on. It's just not nearly as "organized" as the other wines are. It's rather disjointed and the flavor profile just does all the wrong things for my palate. The heat is present but the sour cherries really just puts me off when combined with the amount of heat there is in this wine. I think it has to do with the transition from sour to heat to astringent; it's not very pleasant. That's not to say this is a bad wine, by no means is it bad. It's great compared to most of the grocery store Merlots, it's just not what I would expect from an Anakena wine.

Overall, this wine falls short of the rather high Anakena bar. It's pretty plain and at some times rather confused. To be honest I have not tasted a whole lot of Merlot, but if I were to judge this like I judge any other red wine, than this isn't up to snuff as far as Anakena goes. If you want a Merlot, get the Columbia-Crest H3 Merlot, if you want an Anakena red, pick up any one of their other reds and you'll be happy.

Anakena Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment