Friday, March 4, 2011

2008 Anakena Cabernet Sauvignon Single Vineyard, Chile


Color - Nice even red

Nose - Creamy blackberry, plum, mint

Taste - Initially this has a very nice flavor of currant and blackberry with some cedar in the mid-palate and then hints of vanilla and pepper on it's long finish. The tannins are definitely present in this wine though they aren't too overpowering. There is an even level of astringency that coats my gums and teeth. The cedar notes and vanilla are quite pleasant, a mix I've found in a few wines and have grown to like them.There is only a small amount of vegetal flavors or heat from the alcohol. I wouldn't call this bland or subdued, just a rather mellow Cabernet Sauvignon. I enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought I would. It has some small complexities, but is more a "safe" wine than a big bold red wine.

Overall, this is kind of a letdown as far as QPR and comparison to other Anakena wines go (at least for my palate). If the Indo wines weren't so good, this would be a pretty good wine, but at several dollars more than the Anakena Indo and in my opinion, having far less complexity and depth than the Indo; I'd say pass on this. That is however, based on my palate that craves big, bold red wine flavors, and lots of spice box aroma. For a very clean, easy drinking red wine, that is pleasant and smooth, this is probably one of the best out there. It all depends on your perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment