Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lucky Duck Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile

Color - Purple

Nose - Very strongly acidic in the nose, too much alcohol for me to filter the scents

Taste - Very dry and with a LOT of tannins. The finish is so bitter the wine nearly has a vinegar flavor. It's possible I got a bad bottle, but more likely the wine is just too young to be consumed. I do detect a slight hint of blackberry and plum on the tongue. The wine doesn't change much as you drink, except to become somewhat "stale" tasting if held in the mouth too long. Medium bodied, not complex at all. Very short finish which is acceptable considering the wine's faults. I would suggest pairing it with highly acidic and spiced flavors otherwise it might overwhelm the flavor of whatever you are eating. Do NOT drink this wine without food, it is undrinkable. I paired it with pizza on my second drinking and it improved somewhat, I also let it sit in the glass for nearly 30 minutes. It now exudes a nose that has hints of blackberry and licorice, tastes semi-sweet with hints of licorice, vanilla and cut grass.

Overall, I would stay away from this wine. I received it as a gift and have heard Lucky Duck wines can be purchased under 5 dollars at Wal-Mart. I have not tried any of the other other 4 varietals, but this one was very poor. I would say stay FAR away from this wine. There are too many other wines that can be found for similar prices that are much more enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment