Monday, January 17, 2011

2009 Maipe Bonarda, Argentina


Color - Deep red with violet hints

Nose - Black Currant, Blackberry, Vanilla

Taste - The first thing that hits me is that the tannins are very, very smooth for a wine that is this dark. It's nice and dry, has a long finish with a good clean finish. The wine has a very pleasant mouth feel, slightly spicy as the wine leaves the mouth. It has a somewhat smoky flavor. The wine is medium-bodied and it coats the mouth quite nicely. This is the first Bonarda I've ever tried. It's made me want to try a few more. It reminds me of a "light" Cabernet Sauvignon. It's not particularly sweet, not reminiscent of a Malbec or Merlot. It has depth and body, isn't overly complex, but has enough flavor to keep me guessing. Pair it with grilled meats, pasta, smoky cheeses, or savory dishes.

Overall, I will definitely be drinking this wine in the future. It's turned me on to a brand new varietal. One that I am learning to love just as much as I love Cabernet Sauvignon. It has a wonderful nose, nice color, and great taste. It's quite "mild" for a wine that is as dark as it is. On my third drinking it became amazing. The vanilla in the nose dominates the wine. The flavor is just slightly more fruit forward, I would have loved the vanilla in the nose to be more present in the taste. But I would say overall this has become a favorite of mine and I will be purchasing it at my next visit to Total Wine.

Chakana Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment