Sunday, January 16, 2011

What do I do...

I'll be honest, I don't know a lot about wine. What I do know is all self-taught, and encompasses close to nothing. What I can tell you is that I will be reviewing mostly red wines (I don't like white wines that much, those whites that are reviewed will be reviewed by my wife because she enjoys white wines, particularly Sauvignon Blanc). I am partial to South American and Washington State wines. I used to like Australian wines, but nowadays they seem almost generic in their flavor. The same, in my opinion, goes for Californian wines. I will review wines from those other regions, but not as much as wines from South America and Washington State, as well as Spain.
I am becoming quite fond of Bonarda. I've tasted three wines that featured Bonarda (two 100% Bonarda, one, a blend of Malbec and Bonarda) were all quite pleasing. The Bonarda varietal, in my opinion, has the most varying complexity of the reds I enjoy (Malbec, Syrah, and mostly Cabernet Sauvignon). Though I am also becoming acquainted with Carmenere and liking that particular varietal quite a lot as well. I try to use plain English in my reviews, though some terms like "tannin" don't have a quick and easy plain English term. Eventually I will link a wine 'dictionary' that I will compile myself consisting of terms I frequently use to better help my readers.
I hope I do justice to the wines I review. I am not picky about wine. I like wine even if it's not some super complex, amazing vintage. I enjoy drinking wine without food. My biggest endeavor in writing this blog is to identify wines that can be enjoyed without food because I like to drink wine without food more than I like drinking it with food. Most wines I have enjoyed in the past 2 months fail in this category, or if they don't fail they fall right into the average category. There are, however, a select few wines that are 100% enjoyable without pairing them. Those wines will be listed directly under my "Top 5 Wines...So Far" list. If you are like me and enjoy drinking a glass (or bottle) of wine just for the hell of it, then maybe this list will help. If you read this blog because you like to laugh at a wine beginner then all I can say is thanks for at least reading it. Hope I provided you with a few minutes of laughter. Hopefully you will use my words as a guide map in your wine journey. And whether you stay true to my map of wine or stray from it, I would appreciate a few comments along the way, either giving me your own review of the wines I've tasted or reviewing those you chose above my own choices. Regardless, I hope your voyage through vintages as as pleasant as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment