Saturday, May 7, 2011

2007 Viriato Tinta de Toro, Spain


Color – Ruby red

Nose – Strawberry, cherry, blueberry?

Taste – This wine surprised me right from the first sip. I was expecting a rather fruit forward, medium bodied red wine. That’s not really what’s displayed here. Sure there’s fruit here, but there’s also a nice heat from the alcohol that doesn’t let the fruit run away with this wine. I would say to let this wine decant for a good 15 minutes before you really start to sip and also that it tastes better to me when it’s just slightly chilled. This is as close to fruit bombs as I like to get without crossing the line. I can taste red and black berries right from the first sip. The berries are followed closely by some baking spices, chocolate, and heat in the mid-palate, and then on the finish again we have lots of juicy berries characteristics coming through. I would say that without the heat from the alcohol and the subtle astringency this would just become a fruity, jammy mess of a wine. This is a medium-to-full bodied wine with a long, pleasant finish. This wine is still relatively close to being too much for my palate, but it doesn’t go overboard. I would say try this with some savory burgers or a nice cheese platter though it does go down just fine by itself.

Overall, this is another good wine with a pretty decent QPR from Trader Joe’s. It’s not incredibly adventurous, but it does bring some nice flavor and texture to the table. It’s relatively plain and simple with easygoing flavors and nothing to detract from it. This is a nice break from the normal red wines you might purchase. You can’t go wrong here, but you can find some other 6 dollar wines that are just as good if not a little better. Try it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment