Thursday, May 5, 2011

2010 Trader Joe’s Vinas Chilenas Merlot Reserva, Chile


Color – Dark purple with a violet rim

Nose – Blackberry, dark cherry, green bell pepper

Taste – Having tried the Vinas Chilenas Cabernet Sauvignon and being pleasantly surprised at how a 4 dollar bottle of Cab could possibly be quaffable, I was not surprised that the Merlot passed my test as well. I will admit that this is a little less to my liking than the Cab was. First off the wine has two big flavors that come through on every sip: black cherry jam and green bell pepper. These two flavors vie for dominance through the attack, mid-palate and the finish so there isn’t a whole lot going on in the forefront of this wine. There are some subtle flavors and textures under the surface but you might struggle to find them. The first is a decent amount of chocolate and tobacco in the mid-palate and some nice oaky smoke on the finish. There is also a decent amount of heat that runs through the mid-palate, finish, and aftertaste. This taste much better right at room temperature or slightly warmer, at cooler temperatures the green bell pepper becomes nearly overbearing. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth with near invisible tannins but just the right alcohol. The wine is medium bodied with a medium finish.

Overall, this is an OK QPR. I can’t honestly say this is any better than its price tag of 4 dollars. Sure the other 4 dollar bottles are wines you are going to dump down the drain whereas this one you will actually drink, but it really isn’t worth it. I would say save up 2 more bucks and pick up the Trentatre 33 or Alexander & Fitch Cabernet Sauvignon or if you are desperate get the Vinas Chilenas Cabernet instead.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, thanks for the listing in your blogroll, added you to mine as well!

    The Reverse Wine Snob (Jon)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I dig your blog as well, and have gone out and purchased a few of the wines you reviewed. Picked up the 2007 Trentatre Rosso before I had checked out your blog and after writing my review found you when I did a search of the wine. You have the rating system down a lot better than I do, but I wanted to get away from ratings after I got mad at the 100 point rating fiasco that most wine reviewers use. I just figured I would either recommend a wine or not. Keep up the good work, I'm looking forward to your future posts.

    ReplyDelete