Monday, May 9, 2011

2009 Tait Wines “The Ball Buster”, 73% Shiraz/15% Merlot/12% Cabernet Sauvignon, Australia

Color – Dark purple with a violet rim

Nose – Blueberry, blackberry, vanilla

Taste – This is one of those monster reds that I tend to like quite a bit, unfortunately this one isn’t as good as most. I taste dark cherry, blackberry, black currant, and oak right from the initial sip. These flavors completely disappear in the mid-palate being replaced with quite a lot of heat from alcohol and just as much astringency from the tannins. The finish is long, holds onto the heat and astringency from the mid-palate and adds flavors of blackberry, oak and leather. The wine is full-bodied with both “weight” and “warmth” to it. It would be quite nice if the alcohol and astringency weren’t so overpowering, as it is this wine is just a middle-of-the-road red blend. Sure it’s bigger and bolder than a lot of red blends, but it’s not necessarily a good thing as this wine is just a little too much for my taste.

Overall, this wine is drinkable and has an OK QPR. In my opinion it’s just a little too much for me, I can’t get past the heat and astringency, and two things I actually like in red wine but here they are just too abundant. I would say you can find better red blends for the same price or just a little more money, the Anakena Ona or Finca Flichman Tupangato are two that come to mind. I wouldn’t say you have to steer clear of this one, it has its good points, but I can’t be honest and say it’s one of my favorites rather this is right in the middle of the pack.

Tait Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment