Sunday, February 20, 2011

2009 Cave de Saumur Saumur Champigny Reserve des Vignerons, Cabernet Franc, France


Color - Ruby red

Nose - Cherry, red currant

Taste - This has quite beautiful flavors of cherry and flowers. Yes literally something similar to rose petals that I picked off my mom's roses and ate as a child. This wine is dry but not very astringent though it does go through a lot of changes on the palate. Cherries then flowers meld into sour cherries and there is a slight bitterness in the aftertaste but it is mild and unoffensive. This is a medium bodied wine with a nice long finish and rather subdued tannins though they come alive with the right food (pizza, hearty beef stew, cheese). I like this wine though I'm not used to the peculiarities of Cabernet Franc. This is fruity but it's more floral-forward than anything else. It's like drinking potpourri or one of those "rose hips" teas. While not bad it's definitely an acquired taste.

Overall, this is an interesting wine, but something that will only please certain people. Personally I think it's easier to grow accustomed to Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, or Merlot than Cabernet Franc. I'd say try this or another good sub-fifteen dollar Cabernet Franc, but if you're like me you'll stick ot other wines and varietals. That's not to say this isn't a really good wine, it definitely is, it's just not my particular cup of tea, though it might grow on me. I'd pick it up if I couldn't decide on that last bottle and wanted something different yet pleasant.

Cave de Saumur Wines

2 comments:

  1. I just had this wine last night with pizza interestingly, and it was delightful. For those who might be looking for a fruity, fragrant, very drinkable cabernet franc, this is good place to start. And in Pennsylvania, it's very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im having this wine right now. Considering this is my fourth or fifth encounter with Loire valley Cab Franc it holds true to its terroir in a sense. By that I mean Cab Franc is usually a blending grape which adds a raciness and a great floral note to the bouquet. For the price it's amazing but I do feel like in order to truly enjoy this wine your palate must be somewhat mature. I love Italian wines therefore I thoroughly enjoy the acidity in this wine which might get confused with alcohol content. Great bargain! Paired it with pasta bolognese and I very much enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete