Thursday, February 24, 2011

2008 Cruz Alta 100% Bonarda Reserve, Argentina


Color - Inky purple

Nose - Strawberry, forest floor, minerals

Taste - This is my third 100% Bonarda and this one is completely different from the other just as much as they were different from each other. I get cherry and strawberry right from the first sip. This is a fruity wine but nothing close to being a fruit bomb, you can just taste the fruit in it more-so than other wines. I'm surprised at the lack of depth because the nose led me to believe it would be more complex. There is heat from the alcohol but it is minimal and fades rather quickly. The wine is medium-bodied with a medium finish. Concerning the finish, I had hoped for some some spice and perhaps more tannins. The tannins in this wine are very light almost invisible, closer to those of a few of the light Merlot's I have had. It's not a bad wine just nothing to on about and definitely overpriced.

Overall, I'd say pass on this one. The Maipe Bonarda and Munoz de Toro Argie are both more satisfying and more complex. The main thing is the flavor and this is too run-of-the-mill and lacks the depth I look for in a wine. Pass on this and pick up a different Bonarda or if you want to take a ride on a varietal that has some similarity to Bonarda try a nice Cabernet Franc.

2 comments:

  1. your crazy. this is a great everyday of the week wine. not to mention an excellent value at $11.99. ...a bottle that doesn't over do it & knows its place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was remiss in not listing a QPR for this wine as it does have a decent QPR. I will say that I always try to word my reviews as subjectively as possible. All my reviews are based on my own "taste". I personally don't like this wine as much as I like the Maipe or Munoz de Toro Bonardas. That's just me. The Maipe is the same price as this 9.99. The MdT is 14.99. It's not a bad wine, just not to my taste. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete