Saturday, June 25, 2011

2009 Kirkland Signature Rutherford Meritage(70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 12% Petit Verdot, and 3% Cabernet Franc), California


Color – Purple with a violet rim

Nose – Blueberry, blackberry, vanilla, pencil shavings

Taste – This wine provides one of the most fulfilling red wine experiences I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying since I started taking notes on the wines I sip. From the color to the aroma to the first sip, this wine is all about flavor, balance and depth. There is a decent amount of dark fruit on the palate, a mélange of black currant, blackberry, plum and blueberry. The mid-palate is a wonderful experience of firm tannins, subtle astringency and perfect levels of alcohol. The finish is long with blackberry, plum, vanilla, oak and semi-sweet chocolate. The wine is full bodied, the mouthfeel silky with an aftertaste that reminds me of clean mint and fruit skin, all of this combines to give the feeling that this wine is more mature than it actually is. Had I tasted this blind, I would have guessed an ’05-’06 vintage and a price tag between 20 and 30 dollars. Boy would I have been wrong.

Overall, this wine has a great QPR. For 14 dollars you get to experience a wine that has the complexity, depth and balance of a wine double the price. I can honestly say that I have only tasted two wines since January that compete with this; the first was the Courtney Benham Cabernet Sauvignon and the last Clos Pegase Cabernet Sauvignon. There were a few in between (Munoz de Toro Argie Bonarda , Bodegas Flechas de los Andes Gran Malbec and Crios de Susana Balbo) but that’s really only five wines in five months that have this superior level of complexity and depth. Sure the few Beaujolais I tried also meet these standards but they aren’t the same “type” of red wine as this is. I would recommend this as a definite buy, stock up while Costco has this in stock, you won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment