Tuesday, April 26, 2011

2009 Finca Los Maza Coleccion Bonarda, Argentina


Color - Red

Nose - Strawberry, raspberry

Taste - This is nice and fruity on the first sip. I taste strawberry and cherry mostly and they linger into the mid-palate which is a little too full of tannins and heat for me, then on the medium finish the cherry takes on a sour flavor though it's not unpleasant and the heat lessens into a nice even warmth. In my opinion, this is a pretty decent bottle of vino, but it's really at its best if consumed right after uncorking. The tannins don't really mellow and if anything the heat intensifies after this breathes for a while. It's really a medium bodied wine but at times can seem heavier especially at warmer temperatures. Finally, I would guess that this will age well and actually taste better after some cellaring, it has the tannins to carry it and I would like to see what the flavor profile develops into after a year or two.

Overall, this is a decent wine but nothing amazing. It's just a notch under the Maipe Bonarda and nowhere near the Munoz de Toro (but that wine is perhaps an aberration for the Bonarda grape). This is pretty straightforward with little depth but I'm OK with that here. It's a decent refreshing wine if consumed immediately and slightly chilled. I'd definitely buy it again.

Finca Los Maza Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment