Monday, April 25, 2011

2009 Anakena Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile


Color – Inky purple

Nose – Blueberry, cherry, blackberry

Taste – This wine is nicely fruit forward with blueberry, cherry, and other dark fruit right from the start. It’s not very complex, though the flavor transitions from fruit to soft tannins and muted alcohol, to a finish of caramel, oak, and chocolate. The tannins are larger and more pronounced upon first opening of the bottle, but they only mellow a touch, and the alcohol is really only present in the mid-palate and right at the beginning of the medium finish. The wine has a pleasant mouthfeel, though it tends to be “lighter” in weight in my mouth than I would have expected. There is also a small amount of burnt popcorn flavor right at the end of the finish that I have found I like in red wine. I would say this is medium bodied with a cool texture, and perhaps too few tannins for my taste, though the flavor itself is pleasant and inviting.

Overall, this is a decent performer in the 8 dollar bottle section of Cabernet Sauvignon. It doesn’t jump out at me with immense flavors or complexity, but it has solid flavors, depth, and mouthfeel. I would say the QPR is good for this wine as the quality is definitely present and the price is perfect. In my opinion, there are few 8 dollar reds that would fare this well, I would challenge you to find one and bring it to my attention. I would say this is a must try and one to keep in mind when planning any get together or for a house warming gift as this wine is good enough to give to just about anyone.

Anakena Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment