Monday, March 28, 2011

2010 Anakena Carmenere, Chile


Color - Inky purple, nearly black

Nose - Bell peppers, dark cherry

Taste - This is a very young while at the same time a very drinkable red wine. It has an interesting flavor transition: dark fruit, bell pepper, spice, heat(alcohol), fruit skins. It is a little fruity for my taste in Carmenere but it is far from a poor wine. I would rate it right up there with the Santa Alicia Carmenere Reserva in flavor and in price. I'd say given a few years of cellaring this will mature rather nicely. The heat and tannins can be a little much at times but there is a definite potential for the flavors to become more organized while at the same time gaining depth and character. You're not going to find too many Carmenere's at this price point that are this good.

Overall, this is a definite winner. Sure I would pay the extra 5 dollars to pick up something really good, but if I'm strapped for cash or just want something I know will taste good this wine fits the bill. It's perfect by itself or with pizza, spaghetti, meats, even cream sauce pasta. Yet another Anakena wine gets an A+ from me.

Anakena Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment