Thursday, March 31, 2011

2008 Anakena Syrah Single Vineyard, Chile

Color – Dark purple

Nose – Blackberry, black currant, brown sugar

Taste – I rarely drink Syrah except when it is in a red blend, but when I saw this I was intrigued and had to pick it up even though the previous Anakena Single Vineyard varietals had been more miss than hit. However, this wine turned out rather good, at least on my palate it seemed of superior flavor and quality. First off the wine is pretty big, it looks big in color, it has an even bigger nose, and the flavor is there to back up the “big-ness” of both the color and nose. I taste dark cherries, blackberries, and come black currant flavors, those smoothly transition into a mid-palate of eucalyptus and mint, then the wine finishes quite long with warm flavors of oak, tobacco, and cacao. The wine is full bodied with a very good mouthfeel, the bite from the alcohol is in perfect proportion with the fruits, and the wine is just astringent enough to give you a slight pucker but one that is nice and pleasant. This is the first of the Anakena Single Vineyard’s that I think tastes better after decanting and at slightly warmer temperature. The flavors actually open up nicely as the wine comes to room temperature, and the heat of the alcohol as well as a slight spice flavor enter the mid-palate; giving this wine a nice depth.

Overall, I would say this is a good QPR for this wine, though I do admit that I don’t purchase a lot of Syrah and I don’t have a lot of other wines to compare this too. However, if I merely compare this to what I like in other varietals, how much I enjoy big, bold wines, and the body, finish, and depth then this wine makes the grade. It’s not in my top five wines, but it’s a solid offering and one I would seek out if I were in the mood for a Syrah. I would say this one passes my tests and is a must try.

Anakena Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment