Saturday, March 12, 2011

2008 Radius Cabernet Sauvignon, Washington


Color - Dark red

Nose - Blackberry, green bell pepper, molasses

Taste - On day one, glass one of this wine I thought it was going to be a nice even Washington State Cabernet Sauvignon that had dark fruits, oak and vegetal flavors. That's precisely what it was, though with less oak and more fruit. On day three, glass five this wine has lost most of the vegetal flavors and the bluberry, dark cherry and blackberry flavors have taken over. It's not bad, there's a nice bite right in the mid-palate and the finish is nice a smooth although only medium in length. There are some very subtle hints of brown sugar or molasses on the aftertaste which is very pleasant and fruity. The wine has a nice "warmth" to it that I've noticed in certain reds that I end up liking (perhaps a reaction of the acids and tannins, though I don't know).

Overall, I would say this is another wine that I've come to enjoy quite a bit. I would compare it to Columbia-Crest or Redwood Creek both in price and taste. It's an OK QPR, the wine is not complex but it's a great, smooth stand alone wine. Try it if you like fruitier Cabs or just need something pleasant and unoffensive for a get together.

4 comments:

  1. I really like this Cab on the first taste. It is, perhaps, not a classic Cab, because it is less dry and more fruity than some, but it is a red which get an OMG in my opinion. I will go back for more! The nose, the palate, the finish are all very pleasant. No "tasting notes" are necessary. This is just nice red wine. Highly recommended, especially for the price. Try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this wine because it is smooth and fruity. Many of my friends thought it was at least a 20 dollar bottle. If you like fruity and less dry you will love it for taste and price

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes this is a good fruity, smooth red wine. It does posses a certain quality that leads one to believe it is more expensive than it really is. To be honest this isn't my favorite sub-15 dollar Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington, that honor goes to the Columbia-Crest Horse Heaven Hills H3 Cabernet Sauvignon. But this will do if I can't find the H3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a wine guy, my wife likes'wine but I've never found.one.that I like so I just stick to my Sam Adams Boston Lager. That is until my wife found this wine. For a wine snob there will be no dirth of things to.criticize I'm sure but to a wine slob.like me it just tastes damn good!

    ReplyDelete