Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2009 Crios de Susana Balbo Cabernet Sauvignon, Argentina


Color - Dark purple with a violet rim

Nose - Black currant, chocolate, vanilla

Taste - This particular Argentinian gem is actually a blend of 95% Cabernet Sauvignon and 5% Malbec. Had I known that when I purchased this I might not have picked it up, but I learned it after I sipped it for the first time and boy am I glad I didn't know that particular fact. The wine has an incredible mouthfeel and flavor. I was floored by the complexity and warmth of this wine. It is dry, there is a little heat from the alcohol, but the flavor profile is what grabs me. Vanilla-tinged black currants fade into a light chocolate flavor then finally transition into black pepper and leather. The flavors keep me captivated with every single sip. The wine is full-bodied with a wonderful long finish. There is a warmth and velvety mouthfeel to this wine with a slight butter-y texture. The wine is somewhat astringent but not in a bad way. I like the immense intensity of this wine, it's now one of my favorites.

Overall, this wine is a 20-25 dollar bottle of wine hiding at an 11 dollar price point. The Wine Advocate gave this 90 points, I'd say it's definitely deserving of a point or two on top of those 90 points. I say buy it now and every time you can find it. It's an amazing example of a great Cabernet Sauvignon under 20 dollars.

Crios de Susana Balbo

No comments:

Post a Comment