Monday, January 31, 2011

2008 Courtney Benham Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley


Color - Purple (nearly black) with a ruby rim

Nose - Black Currant, blackberry, black cherry, perhaps leather

Taste - My first impression is how well balanced this wine is, as well as the remarkable depth of this wine. There is a nice rich dark fruit wash over the tongue with some creamy spice (vanilla in my opinion). The tannins are round and warm, just the perfect match for my preference. There is the presence of heat from the alcohol with a mild bite, but nothing overpowering just subtle reminders that this is wine and not juice. When consumed without food the wine has a tendency to seem too fruit forward to me. Without food I couldn't drink more than one glass of this wine in one sitting. It is good, but it is very rich and full-bodied. For all of that it isn't too overwhelming in the flavor department, it is complex to a certain degree, especially for the price. But it doesn't make your head spin trying to decipher the flavor profiles. It has enough depth and complexity to keep me interested. It is rather dry with a wonderful herbaceous finish that is rather long. On a side note, I am detecting coconut hints starting in the mid-palate and running into the aftertaste.

Overall, quite good all around wine. It's good by itself (though it's rich) better with a meal to match the wine's richness. I wouldn't drink lots of it, though I could drink a glass every night and be happy. Regardless I'd be happy and my taste buds would be satisfied when I did drink it. It's good, no great, even though it's rich and fruity and sometimes too big for it's britches. You can find Cab's cheaper but I challenge you to find one at a lower price that is this balanced, complex and has such a great depth of flavor and character. Pick up several bottles and keep them cellared for special occasions or just days when you want a really good wine but don't want to break the bank, this one's worth every penny.

Courtney Benham Wines

1 comment:

  1. I'm enjoying this fine cabernet right now with a medium rare elk steak. perfect companions

    ReplyDelete