Tuesday, February 15, 2011

2009 Anakena Indo Cabernet Sauvignon, Chile


Color - Dark red

Nose - Blackberry, green bell pepper

Taste - This wine is dry and very pleasing. I get blackberry and tannins that start to do wonderful things with the wine. This is another one of those wines with very unique flavors. The unique flavors here come after a nice, long finish when I get a very distinct aftertaste of burnt toast or burnt popcorn. It's not blackened, just lightly burnt and actually very pleasing in an aftertaste. Most likely a benefit of the cask aging, if I were to guess the flavor is even more present when this is paired well. It was a perfect compliment to a blackened steelhead trout and four cheese rice. The flavor and texture of the wine adopts some cream tendencies with this dish. It is medium-bodied and very drinkable. Some will say "decant this", I say "enjoy it either way, the wine is good enough by itself."

Overall, I will definitely buy this wine again. This is my second Anakena wine. I think both are in my top 10 wines. They are both young, tannic and very big; but they are both pretty complex for their ages and have the mouthfeel that I have come to love in red wine. Plus they both taste great when consumed alone. Anakena is on my "Try Them All" List.

Anakena Wines

No comments:

Post a Comment